Re: [SQL] Escaping w/i regular expressions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Herouth Maoz
Subject Re: [SQL] Escaping w/i regular expressions
Date
List pgsql-sql
At 21:07 +0300 on 30/06/1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> How do you escape a ' (apostrophe) within a regular expression, so it does
> not close off the string? Something like
>    ... ~ '[0-9.,\']'
> does not seem to work.
> (Pgsql 6.4.2)

Yes, it does work:

testing=> select * from test;
nm
This is a regular sentence ending with a full stop.
In this sentence there is a 'quoted' word.
not a sentence
Fi, fye, foe, fam - I smell the blood of an Englishman.
There are 10,000 bottles of beer on the wall.
(5 rows)

testing=> select * from test where nm ~ '[0-9.,\']';
nm
This is a regular sentence ending with a full stop.
In this sentence there is a 'quoted' word.
Fi, fye, foe, fam - I smell the blood of an Englishman.
There are 10,000 bottles of beer on the wall.
(4 rows)

See how it didn't match the 'not a sentence'? Now, to make sure, I removed
the '.' from your regular expression, so the only thing to match in the
'quoted' row was the quotes:

testing=> select * from test where nm ~ '[0-9,\']';
nm
In this sentence there is a 'quoted' word.
Fi, fye, foe, fam - I smell the blood of an Englishman.
There are 10,000 bottles of beer on the wall.
(3 rows)

Convinced?

Herouth

--